Monday, June 1, 2009

Not another meeting!

We know that every business day is consumed by meetings - that's the way decisions are made and paths are established but... must they be so long, so frustrating, so time wasting?

If you are tired of sitting through rounds of meetings then it's time to take charge and challenge traditional thinking.
Start asking yourself these questions...
1. Before you call any meeting STOP and ask, "What outcome am I striving for?" You must be absolutely clear about the intended outcome - before you proceed.
2. Who 'needs' to be at the meeting? Note 'needs' not interested or wants to be included.
3. Do I need them to be present or do I just need information from them that I can present to the others?
4. Do I need these people for the entire meeting? (I can ask people to step in at specific points or allow them to leave when they are no longer making contributions).
5. What will I need to do to ensure I manage the conversation so I hear and understand the different points of view before I make any decisions?
6. How can I ensure I obtain commitment and a firm action plan showing who is doing what and by what date?

No comments:

Post a Comment