Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pay Attention

I had the luxury of spending several hours today in an amazing, beautiful, glorious garden covering over seven acres. The gentleman who has been living there for over 30 years, loving tends the land; that was obvious as he took me on a personal tour to show the results of his work. From a rough, unkempt track of land surrounding a charming old house, he has created a masterpiece. As we walked along narrow woodland trails, he pointed to some of his treasured plants, newly created planted areas, giant trees dominating the landscape, someone's superb craftsmanship that had resulted in an amazing nail-free lattice fence and a pond full of colourful Koi.
I had taken my camera along to share the images back home but it was soon forgotten as I realised the images I'd capture would not be able to do justice to the views before me. From time to time my guide would point out special view corridors, open vistas, dense undergrowth, special blooms and even sculptures hidden in secret places that you could easily miss...if you weren't paying attention.
He drew my eye time and again to the petals of a unique flower, encouraged me to bend to smell fragrant blooms, he even stopped me to watch eagles flying over head, striving to fend off ravens intent on nest robbing. All too soon my visit was over and I pulled out of the driveway with a last look at two eagles sadly resting in a tree far from their empty nest.
I reflected on the drive home how far too often I miss the important details of life when I am in a hurry. The time I'd spent spellbound while I appreciated the subtle tinge of colour on a tulip, the colours gently bleeding into each other on a rhododendron, the frilled edges of a daffodil and the different coloured eyes on the Koi, made me ponder how much I am missing at home and at work too.
When did I last pay attention to the bright smile a colleague gives her co-workers each the morning? How often have I missed a worried frown and done nothing about it? Who has been giving me subtle clues that I have missed completely in my 'far too busy to notice' world?
I am so very glad I took that journey today, to visit a charming man who was willing to give me the gift of his time and the treasure of paying attention. I hope I can make the connection at work and see more of the 'beauty' in the office. It's there, I know it. I just have to slow down and look. Then I have to share it with others - just like my generous guide today.

No comments:

Post a Comment